Monday, May 30, 2005

Thank You

It's Memorial Day. I won't be decorating any grave sites. But I've been thinking about all the people I know who fought for my country, even in an unpopular war. I've ranted about the debacle in Iraq, but I appreciate all the men and women who are there. I'd prefer they hadn't been sent, and I'd really like to see them come home now. But I thank them for their service.

I also thank my father for serving in Korea. I never knew my wife's father. He died before we met. But I am thankful for his service in World War II. I do know her uncle who served in the navy in that war, and I'm thankful for his service.

I grew up during the Vietnam war. I knew two soldiers from my home town who died over there, and a few others who made it back home. Some were never quite the same. I'm thankful for all of them.