Saturday, April 16, 2005

Springfield radio

According to traffic at the Missouriradio.net Forums, lots of format changes in Springfield radio. I have to admit I haven't listened to much local radio since moving to the area seven years ago. I found it far too bland, too similar. Yes, there are country stations, and rock stations, and oldies stations. I don't like country, and I find too much being played on "rock" stations mere noise. The oldies stations played too many obscure tunes. Still, Springfield wasn't much different from any other market.

But some of these format changes could be interesting and may draw me back to radio. I still don't like country. Nothing wrong with those who do, it's just not my cup of tea. But I do like local news and there may be an effort afoot to start competing with KTTS. I'm not holding my breath, but I would like it to succeed. Local radio, truly local radio, can do wonders with news. It used to be one of the main reasons to listen to a station.

Another interesting change is at Alice 95.5 FM. I've sampled their signal a few times in the last couple weeks and have enjoyed the variety of old, new, and everything in between. It's the closest thing to radio from my younger days I think I'm going to find. More to come on all this.