Wednesday, June 29, 2005

What I Believe, Part I

I haven't had much to say lately. Actually, I've had a lot to say, but didn't feel like saying it. Been busy with projects, which made blogging time scarce. And the world seemed to be going mad.

I don't care about the Michael Jackson verdict.

I don't care about another missing white woman.

I don't care about a libelous biography of Hilary Clinton full of errors and innuendo.

I don't care about Tom Cruise going wacky.

The mainstream media have every right to cover these stories, and other people may truly care about them. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure there are plenty of tidbits I find interesting that others do not.

So I've been kind of quiet on the blog front. But this week is different.

"Liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers," Rove said. "Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 and the attacks and prepared for war.... Conservatives saw what happened to us on 9/11 and said we will defeat our enemies. Liberals saw what happened to us and said we must understand our enemies.... No more needs to be said about the motives of liberals," Rove said.

Rove then topped himself:
"Has there ever been a more revealing moment this year?" Mr. Rove asked. "Let me just put this in fairly simple terms: Al Jazeera now broadcasts the words of Senator Durbin to the Mideast, certainly putting our troops in greater danger. No more needs to be said about the motives of liberals."


Just to be clear, my motives in protesting the debacle that is Iraq having nothing to do with being touchy-feely with terrorists. Nor do they have anything to do with disrespecting those who died on September 11th. Nor do they have anything to do with being ashamed of those who wear the uniform in service to our country. Rather, my motives are about keeping those in uniform safe from harm by getting them out of a place we invaded based on a lie by their commander in chief.

Although it received quite a bit less play in the MSM and the blogosphere, Dick Cheney has also been attacking those who disagree with dear leader:

Since 9/11, we've had people like Chuck Hagel and other politicians and we've had people in the press corps and commentators who've said we can't do Afghanistan.


This is particularly sickening because Cheney has never worn a military uniform. In fact, he received five deferments from service in Vietnam. Hagel, on the other hand,
served in Vietnam with his brother Tom in 1968. They served side by side as infantry squad leaders with the U.S. Army’s 9th Infantry Division. Hagel earned many military decorations and honors, including two Purple Hearts.

Remember also, President Bush just killed 1700 Americans in Iraq for a lie, and still hasn't bothered to attend a single funeral of one of the soldiers he killed.

As Atrios states, The new strategy is criticism of iraq=criticism of afghanistan=support for taliban=support for al qaeda = cheering on crashing twin towers.

I'm tired of being called unpatriotic, or accused of giving aid and comfort to the enemy (treasonous), or too soft on terrorists.

I believe everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. I believe everyone should be held accountable for their actions. I believe al qaeda is wrong in their beliefs about the U.S. I believe many in the U.S. are wrong in their beliefs about al qaeda. I believe everyone should be willing to listen to and consider opposing points of view. I believe not to do so is simply being intellectually lazy and simple-minded. I believe Americans can do better.

I believe my country is better than a school yard bully. I believe my country should not resort to torture for any reason. I believe my country is compassionate. I believe my country should defend the weak, care for the sick, uplift the downtrodden. I believe my country is great, but will improve. I believe my country can do better.

I believe our troops deserve to be fully equipped and prepared before going to war. I believe parents of those in the military should not have to buy the needed equipment.

I believe my country is better than the neocon way. I believe my country can do better than George Bush and Dick Cheney and Karl Rove.

And I believe it's time to stop this madness and hold that trio responsible for the heinous acts they've committed.