Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Elderly Parents

My father has Parkinson's Disease. It's fairly advanced and is affecting his mind. A week ago he went into the intensive care unit with a urinary infection and had become very disoriented. He doesn't recognize his own family much of the time, and doesn't know how he got to the hospital. He does joke with the hospital staff and at least recognizes his surroundings as a hospital.

My mother can no longer take care of my father, so my father may never go home again. He needs the care a facility can provide. He needs the nursing and physical therapy that he cannot get at home or at his children's homes.

I know this is necessary. I know it is what is best for him and my mother. I know we're not sticking him in a home because we don't want to take care of him. I know it is the right thing to do.

It still feels wrong. It still hurts. And I feel guilty. Time can be cruel.